HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Editorial

E-mail Print PDF
As I listened to our new young President give his "Peace Prize" acceptance speech in Oslo last week I found myself gasping for air as he made point after point that could easily have been made by my man, George W. My mind kept skipping to what his "liberal anti-war base" was thinking (read, my pal Marvo) as they heard their hero speak "Bush" rather fluently. I was watching the faces of those hearing him in that "European" audience, some were smiling and none appeared to grimace, at least noticeably. His point was that if we wanted a lasting peace we must be willing to fight, and win, to get it. I agree with that 100%.
Now, I can just hear Rush and Hannity saying that it's just talk, but wait, he is sending more troops, 30,000 to 40,000, has escalated the powerful Drone attacks (started by Bush but escalated to more in past 10 months than the 8 years under Bush) in the north into Pakistan and is obviously listening to his Secretary of Defense, a Bush carryover. Who would'a thunk?
The next morning I sent this email to Marvo, in an attempt to draw "fire" but not a peep in response from the "Obama Marine".
"AP Summary - Newly enshrined among the world's great peacemakers, President Barack Obama offered a striking defense of war. Eleven months into his presidency, a fresh Obama doctrine. Evil must be vigorously opposed, he declared as he accepted the Nobel Peace Prize on Thursday. At the same time, he made an impassioned case for building a "just and lasting peace.
Great speech, in my opinion, and you know if I liked it, the "base" is furious. Are you furious Marvo?
If he quacks like Bush... you know the rest!
Your Pal,
Crabby

I am not the only Republican who liked it either. Both Sara Palin and Gingrich praised it publically.
I will keep you, my readers, posted on any Marvo response W.C.

The only searchable local paper.